McAfee Stinger is a standalone energy utilized to identify as well as eliminate details viruses. It’& rsquo; s not a replacement for full antivirus protection, but a specialized device to assist managers as well as users when dealing with contaminated system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan technology, including rootkit scanning, and also check performance optimizations. It spots and gets rid of risks identified under the “” Danger List”” choice under Advanced food selection alternatives in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger currently discovers and also removes GameOver Zeus and also CryptoLocker.
How do you utilize Stinger?
- Download the current version of Stinger.
- When prompted, pick to conserve the data to a hassle-free area on your hard disk, such as your Desktop folder.
- When the download is full, browse to the folder which contains the downloaded and install Stinger data, as well as run it.
- The Stinger interface will certainly be displayed.
- By default, Stinger checks for running processes, packed modules, windows registry, WMI and also directory locations recognized to be utilized by malware on a maker to keep check times marginal. If required, click the “” Customize my check”” link to add added drives/directories to your scan.
- Stinger has the ability to scan targets of Rootkits, which is not allowed by default.
- Click the Scan button to begin checking the defined drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will certainly repair any type of contaminated files it discovers.
- Stinger leverages GTI Documents Credibility as well as runs network heuristics at Medium level by default. If you choose “” High”” or “” Extremely High,”” McAfee Labs suggests that you set the “” On danger detection”” action to “” Report”” only for the initial check.
To learn more regarding GTI Documents Track record see the complying with KB short articles
KB 53735 – FAQs for Worldwide Hazard Knowledge Documents Reputation
KB 60224 – Just how to confirm that GTI File Track record is set up correctly
KB 65525 – Identification of generically identified malware (Global Risk Intelligence discoveries)
Read about stinger anit virus At website
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I know I have an infection, yet Stinger did not discover one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not a substitute for a complete anti-virus scanner. It is just created to detect as well as get rid of particular dangers.
Q: Stinger found an infection that it couldn'’ t repair. Why is this? A: This is most likely as a result of Windows System Recover capability having a lock on the contaminated documents. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 customers should disable system recover before scanning.
Q: Where is the check log conserved and exactly how can I view them?
A: By default the log data is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, browse to the log TAB and the logs are presented as listing with time stamp, clicking the log documents name opens the file in the HTML style.
Q: Where are the Quarantine submits kept?
A: The quarantine data are kept under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the “” Hazard Listing”” alternative under Advanced menu made use of for?
A: The Danger List gives a listing of malware that Stinger is configured to spot. This listing does not contain the results from running a scan.
Q: Are there any command-line parameters readily available when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line criteria are shown by mosting likely to the aid food selection within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and now have a Stinger.opt documents, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it creates the Stinger.opt data that saves the existing Stinger arrangement. When you run Stinger the following time, your previous setup is made use of as long as the Stinger.opt data remains in the same directory as Stinger.
Q: Stinger upgraded components of VirusScan. Is this expected actions?
A: When the Rootkit scanning choice is selected within Stinger preferences –– VSCore data (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will be upgraded to 15.x. These data are mounted only if newer than what'’ s on the system and also is needed to scan for today’& rsquo; s generation of newer rootkits. If the rootkit scanning option is impaired within Stinger –– the VSCore upgrade will not take place.
Q: Does Stinger carry out rootkit scanning when deployed through ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve disabled rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO bundle to restrict the auto upgrade of VSCore elements when an admin releases Stinger to hundreds of equipments. To enable rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please use the following criteria while checking in the Stinger bundle in ePO:
— reportpath=%temperature%– rootkit
For comprehensive guidelines, please describe KB 77981
Q: What variations of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, Panorama SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. Furthermore, Stinger needs the equipment to have Web Traveler 8 or above.
Q: What are the requirements for Stinger to execute in a Victory PE atmosphere?
A: While developing a custom-made Windows PE picture, include assistance for HTML Application parts making use of the directions given in this walkthrough.
Q: Exactly how can I get assistance for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees regarding this product.
Q: Just how can I include personalized detections to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the option where a customer can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a personalized blacklist. Throughout a system check, if any data match the customized blacklisted hashes – the data will certainly obtain identified and also deleted. This function is offered to help power individuals that have separated a malware example(s) for which no detection is offered yet in the DAT documents or GTI Data Track Record. To take advantage of this feature:
- From the Stinger user interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be spotted either by means of the Go into Hash switch or click the Lots hash List switch to point to a text file including MD5 hashes to be included in the scan. SHA1, SHA 256 or other hash types are unsupported.
- Throughout a check, documents that match the hash will have a detection name of Stinger!<>. Complete dat repair service is used on the detected documents.
- Files that are electronically authorized utilizing a legitimate certificate or those hashes which are already marked as tidy in GTI Data Track record will not be spotted as part of the customized blacklist. This is a safety attribute to stop customers from unintentionally removing data.
Q: How can run Stinger without the Genuine Protect component obtaining mounted?
A: The Stinger-ePO plan does not perform Real Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect obtaining mounted, implement Stinger.exe