The top-selling console of all time continues to be Sony'’ s PlayStation 2– and also it'’ s in no danger of shedding that crown whenever quickly. Despite the continuing success of PlayStation 4 over the past 7 years, Sony is still approximately 40 million devices far from surpassing the PS2'’ s leading spot, while Nintendo ‘ s runaway success with Change still places it well behind even PS4.
So while PlayStation 4 and Switch over remain to safeguard their places among the very successful consoles of perpetuity, we set out to uncover just how the rest of Sony, Nintendo, as well as Microsoft'’ s hardware accumulate. To do so, we assembled a checklist of the 15 best-selling computer game consoles of perpetuity, with extra info on launch dates, highest-rated video games, and also much more.
(Some sales numbers come right from the equipment makers, while others are estimated based on the most lately reported numbers and also market evaluation. Informal sales totals are marked with an asterisk (*).)
10. PlayStation Portable
First release day: December 12, 2004 (JP)
Manufacturing condition: Finished
Highest-rated games: God of War: Chains of Olympus, Grand Burglary Automobile: Chinatown Wars, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
* Sony last reported an official sales total amount for PSP in 2012, when it introduced the portable had marketed 76 million systems. The system would continue to be generated for an added 2 years, throughout which time it'’ s uncertain exactly the amount of systems were marketed. Quotes for life time sales generally sit around 80 million, with some records being available in closer to 82 million, which would place it above Nintendo'’ s GBA. However, sticking to the more-conservative price quote of 80 million, PSP can be found in as the 10th-best-selling console of all time.
9. Video Game Boy Breakthrough
Initial release date: March 21, 2001 (JP)
Manufacturing status: Finished
Highest-rated games: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Tony Hawk'’ s Pro Skater 2, Super Mario Advancement 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
This main sales figure comes straight from Nintendo. The company also keeps in mind software sales for the portable shut at 377 million systems. The Video game Child Advancement line of gadgets consisted of many different layout versions and also form variables, the last of which was the Video Game Young Boy Micro in 2005. The top-selling model was the Video game Child Advancement SP, with 43.57 million devices sold. The Video Game Young boy Micro only marketed 2.42 million in its brief run.
8. Xbox 360
First launch date: November 22, 2005 (NA)
Production status: Finished
Highest-rated video games: Grand Burglary Car IV, Grand Burglary Car V, BioShock
* In June 2014, Microsoft reported it had delivered 84 million Xbox 360s to sellers. While Microsoft quit reporting details sales figures in 2015, the system remained in production for nearly 2 years. During that two-year period, we can securely presume Microsoft transformed that 84 million number from sell-in to sell-through, while, cautiously estimating, moving an added one million devices. If accurate, that would position Xbox 360 in the 8th area on the list of very popular gaming consoles.
7. PlayStation 3
Initial release day: November 11, 2006 (JP)
Manufacturing standing: Finished
Highest-rated games: Grand Theft Automobile IV, Grand Burglary Automobile V, Undiscovered 2: Amongst Thieves
* Since March 31, 2017, PS3 had actually sold 87.4 million devices, according to Sony. The system would stay in manufacturing with May of that very same year. With that said in mind, it'’ s most likely PS3 ended its keep up someplace between 87 and 88 million devices marketed, leaving us with our conservative estimate of 87.5
6. Nintendo Wii
Preliminary release date: November 19, 2006 (NA)
Production standing: Ended
Highest-rated video games: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
According to official sales figures from Nintendo, Wii ended its run as the fifth-best-selling console of all time. With over 100 million systems sold, Wii created 920 million units of software sales —– the second most for any Nintendo console.
5. PlayStation –– 102.4 million
First release date: December 3, 1994 (JP)
Production condition: Ended
Highest-rated games: Tony Hawk'’ s Pro Skater 2, Tekken 3, Grandmother Turismo According to
Sony, the original PlayStation ‘ s final sales amount to sits at 102.4 million, with over 960 million software units marketed. This makes it the third-best-selling Sony console ever before, as it was just recently exceeded by PlayStation 4. 4. PlayStation 4– 115.2 million Initial